Helmikuu
Why read This Blog and You? Because of the children, that’s why.
I tell you what, the ol' flipping of the calendar that is typically associated with the changing of months gets me fairly fired up. Perhaps not fired up in a way that is noticeable or worth mentioning or any such thing, but still, I kind of see each brand new month as a fresh start, a new chapter of the miniseries that I've grown to call 2008! For the past few years, I've eagerly anticipated each coming month. As each one falls, brining me closer to whatever, it’s always fantastic, always a solid change for the better. Except for Februaries, that is. I don't remember ever looking forward to a February. It's cold, slushy, and despite being the shortest month in length, always seems the longest.
Interestingly enough, February is actually chalk-full of holidays, but they're all second-rate in my opinion. Groundhog Day, Presidents' Day, Washington's Birthday, Valentine's Day, so on, so forth. As a matter of fact, the last two Valentine's Days really only served to punctuate how inept I am at not sucking. That’s not a'gonna be the case this Valentine's Day, boy! Less than nothing is expected of me this Valentine's Day, and I am more than ready to deliver! I get to skip out of classes and go to a rehearsal dinner and play video games and reminisce the night away! It'll be great!
This February is going to break the mold of Februaries past, sons and daughters. That is, I don't see how it won't. You know, the word “February” comes from the Latin expression februum, which means “purification.” That’s a theme that I am all about like a gadabout. In addition to the standard familial birthdays that are marked in February, I’m expecting big things from a brand new family member who, if he turns out to not be a pansy, will post some points on the board for the very first time sometime this month. It’ll be fantastic.
In addition to everything else that's going to be different about this February, the X-Men (my intramural basketball team for the third year running) are beginning the season in an uncharted fashion. With a 2-0 record. The X-Men have never had a 2-0 record. The X-Men have never had a 1-0 record.
Apparently, in Finland, February is called Helmikuu, or “month of the pearl.” This refers to the phenomenon of snow melting in trees, forming droplets of water, which then refreeze on the tips of branches as little “pearls” of ice.
Six Nations tomorrow. Sunday, Super Bowl.
-Ryan


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home