Sunday, March 30, 2008

Gatorade and Pretzels

When you're dealing with head trauma, Gatorade and pretzels seem to be all your stomach can handle. I'm not the biggest fan of either right now.

I got back from Louisville yesterday after having endured a conference that I can only describe as a game of "Academic Dress-up." It seemed like it was mostly an excuse for students to wear suits and for professors to give awards to themselves. But heck, I’d play along. I delivered my presentation and I wore my suit and I ate their food and I applauded when I was expected to.

One of the fondest memories that I believe I’ll take with me from the conference was having the opportunity to stand in front of a roomful of professors and students and actually say the following phrase: “You have but to look at my data and fun will follow.” Talk about getting some weird looks.

The hotel was easily the fanciest I’d ever stayed in. It was enormous as well. I actually got lost in it once. But of course, I was drunk off of fine Bourbon whiskey at the time. And by that I mean that I pretended that I was. I did get a chance to pick up some informational literature about the local whiskey making process, though. Truly the most magical place on earth.

I was asked to taste the selected wine for my table on Thursday night, and in so doing brought everyone else to the realization that I don’t know anything about wine. I don’t recall ever having had a waitress laugh at me so blatantly before.

I left early on Saturday morning and got back to Anderson in time to see some rugby at the AU Invitational. AU’s still looking pretty good, which is nice to see what with all the youngsters. They couldn’t quite get the W against Miami, though. Uh, that’s Miami of Ohio of course.

I’ve decided to listen to Starflyer 59’s Fell In Love At 22 every day until August. Or it becomes true. Whichever one comes first.

I paid $2.97 for a cup of coffee at the Louisville Hard Rock Café. Twice. I’m an idiot.

-Ryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home