Tuesday, December 01, 2009

December? Not Possible

Thanksgiving is usually such a great time, but this past Thanksgiving started off in such a horrible fashion, I couldn't hardly stand it. I was coerced to run the same dang 4.5 mile race as I was back in 2007. It sucked then, and it was much worse now. In 2007, I was still in some kind of hauling shape, and back then, it wouldn't have been unusual for me to throw down 15 miles a week. Excluding the two races in which I've participated, I'd be surprised if I'd hit 15 miles as a grand total for the whole dang year. As you might imagine, instead of shooting for a particular time, I was essentially dragged the 7.25 kilometers by my familial cohorts.

Since running drains you of all the nutrients you need to do fun things, I was very desirous of eating myself back into some fitness. Good thing it was Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is a time for reflection on the things in life that make you smile. The things for which you anticipate. The things that you find to be spiritual, familial, and fried. Of course I love all the members of my family, but this Thanksgiving I was impressed by the extent to which I am enamored with both the oldest and youngest cast member. Like two genealogical bookends, one rubbery, one leathery, one constantly getting bigger, one doing the opposite of that, they complement one another remarkably. But rather than allow their seemingly endless list of differences act as an obstacle between them, they instead focused on all the ways in which they are similar. Like how neither one of them loses focus in the face of being understood by no one. And their mutual predilection for Brach's Orange Slices. In fact, once they meet in the middle as far as physical stature goes, I suspect they'll be difficult to tell apart.

Have a folder mysteriously appear on your external hard drive? Does that folder have a name composed of 28 seemingly random characters? It's probably a virus. After trying to delete said folder, does your OS tell you that you don't have permissions to delete it? Oh, that's crafty, and definitely a virus. I'd recommend turning one of your larger flash drives into a bootable Linux distro, booting your machine up with that, and sudo -su BAM! Delete that crap! Post-Thanksgiving day miracle!

-Ryan

2 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger Derek Reiff said...

Really? I could've sworn that I had a seemingly random-number-letter folder on my drive, but found that it contained some sort of install stuff for a Windows/update/thing.

Couldn't delete it, either. Booo.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Wolfgang said...

I'm pretty sure mine was trying change stuff in my registry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home