Sunday, August 16, 2015

Last Day of Summer 2015

Even though I'm not enrolled in any classes this fall and I'm not currently scheduled to teach any, today feels very much like the last day of summer. What it actually is, though, is the last day of my 20's. Current culture mores have removed some of the stigma that turning 30 used to engender, but I admit it does give me some pause to reflect on the fact that for the rest my life my age will be closer to 40 than it is 20. Arbitrary though they are, milestone birthdays have a way of encouraging introspection and as I reflect on the past decade, I find it to have been quite different from what I would have forecast. For the most part, that's OK. It's definitely OK if I choose to learn from all the mistakes that made my 20's less than what they might have otherwise been and focus on putting up some good numbers in my 30's.

Some of my friends who have not yet crested the triacon behave as though it represents the end of all that they've ever known and loved. I might've had that same attitude once upon a time, but no more. What's convenient about turning 30 is that you have thirty years to mentally prepare for it! And that's more than enough, really.

Anyway, for all of you that I’ve had the pleasure of knowing and living out even a small piece of my 20’s with, thank you. Let’s keep on.

-Ryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home