And It Was All Yellow
I moved out of the Shire two days ago. In my imagination, the task of extracting all of the trinkets, memories, and clutter that had accumulated over the past three years would prove too daunting to be fully accomplished. Fortunately, all of those things seem much more manageable when they’re condensed into a few large corrugated boxes. The process took an hour, not a day.
I moved into the Yellow Monster two days ago. The first night was thirty percent weird. It just seemed real big, empty, and poorly illuminated. Despite how many times I had been inside that particular structure, I had up until this point neglected to get a solid bead on the locations of all the light switches. The resulting dimness, which itself resulted in compromised vision, resulted in me striking my head on doorjambs and light fixtures (x2) until I finally figured out that the switch I was after was above the thermostat. Ah, above the thermostat. Silly me.
With all of the twenty-nine and one percentiles of weirdness running at full blast around 12:08 AM, I decided to stop trying to bring order to my new quarters and go right to bed, which would presumably make the morning come that much more quickly. So I forewent my usual night-time ablutions and hit the sack. I lay in bed for about an hour and a half, wrestling with images of a swinging shindig taking place at the Shire at that exact moment, and wrestling further with that sticky feeling that settles on you when you go to bed without showering.
1:42 AM. “Well, this is real dumb” came the staggering epiphany of a guy who had been tossing and turning uncomfortably for the last ninety-four minutes. So with a new resolution to not be dumb, I got out of bed, opened one of the boxes that adorned the living room floor, and rooted through it until I had found a towel and a bar of soap. I then took a shower, changed the sheets on the bed, and slept peacefully until 8:45 AM. Sunday proved to be every bit as weird, though not because of the Yellow Monster. Today, I’m getting a lot on unpacking done. Tomorrow, one of the other denizens of the YM returns from out of state. That’ll be cool. The YM’s too big for just one guy to be running around in it.
This Wednesday @ 9:00 AM, ICS 621 Practical Exam, Take 2.
Whiskey Day is approaching…
-Ryan


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home