Friday, December 31, 2010

Six Geese A-Laying

December 31st is a great time to reflect on December 30th, et al. You might be asking yourself, what manner of year was 2010? I think that it's safe to say that if you're me, it was a year in which you tore many ligaments. The high point of the year for me was the opportunity to work at the Teach Beyond English camp. Of course, the downside of that whole experience was that it took me out of the country and I was unable to watch Argentina's record-breaking victory over France.

The musician of the year is, in my opinion, Sufjan Stevens. Considering his precedent-breaking appearance on the Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and his chaotic musical exploration, Mr. Stevens gave those who would presume to pigeon-hole him (including himself) something to think about in what seems to have been a watershed year for his career. Keep a tight grip on things, Mr. Sufjan, I'd hate to read somewhere that you've gone nuts.

The athlete of the year has almost certainly got to be Sonny Bill Williams. Recently making the transition from RL to RU, Sonny Bill debuted for the number-one ranked New Zealand All Blacks in November. Sonny soon proved himself to be a difference maker, earning the title 'Man of the Match' in just his second game with the All Blacks. You would think that earning a berth in the most talented rugby team ever to walk the face of the earth would be enough of a proverbial feather in the cap of just about any athlete, but apparently not for Mr. Bill Williams. Between now and his next international, Sonny will return to the boxing ring in an exhibition match against Scott Lewis. Yes, apparently he's a boxer too. He's the Deion Sanders of New Zealand.

The professor of the year is the estimable Dr. Barry Ross of the Anderson University School of Theology. Granted, he is the only professor that I had this year, but that should not discount the impact that he has had on my theological world view. On the outside he kind of looks like the kind of guy that would tell you that the bridge is out and that you'll have to spend the night at the run-down motel, but on the inside beats a heart that has served all around the world, edifying it where he can. He'll have stiffer competition for 2011. In that he will have competition.

The book of the year would probably be... Ecclesiastes. I don't suppose that it made any best-seller lists on its own in 2010, but many times over this past year I went to it for solace and perspective. Whoever wrote it was hilarious.

I think that I have consumed more coffee this year than in any year prior. Hopefully I'll be able to say that every December 31st for the rest of my life.

Happy New Year, everybody. Let's resolve to drink more coffee together.

-Ryan

3 Comments:

At 7:37 PM, Blogger Shawn said...

I'm in, good man. Thanks for the coffee challenge. If I may double down, may the coffee be of ever higher quality every year. And maybe we can hope to play some music together this year, since that's really the only honest claim I have to even read this hilarious, tragic, and triumphant blog, other than a connection through your illustrious brother.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Mmm... coffee. Yeah, that sounds good.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Wolfgang said...

Shawn - no honest claims required; thanks for your well-wishes. I think that I could go for a Hoover reunion.

Jael - I know, right!? Hope that your holiday season has been bright and arid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home