Saturday, August 06, 2011

Exceptional Generosity

Last April a coworker gave me a four-piece IKEA couch for which I had no room nor need. I stashed it in my garage and forgot about it for about four months. This past week some friends arranged a community garage sale and I thought, "What the Helm's Deep" and I dragged out the ol' monster only to find that it was now covered with hair and opossum tracks. Undeterred, I removed the washable slip-covers, stuck a $30 price tag on it, and walked away, feeling sure that nobody would pay such a princely sum for such a boxy piece of junk. A few minutes later, I received a phone call informing me that a little old lady had volunteered to pay $40 for it if she could have it delivered. A buddy and I helped install it in her home and she said that we had been so helpful that she wanted to give us an extra $10 each. We resisted, assuring her that extra compensation was unthinkable. She responded: "You both were very helpful, and Jesus knows I'm grateful. He knows it. Let me give you a little more."

It was one of those rare moments in which you find yourself both humbled and $10 richer.

I watched the England/Wales game this morning. The good news is that it looks like Wilkinson may be a favorite to start at flyhalf in the upcoming World Cup. The bad news is, they do not look like a team that will be able to beat New Zealand or Australia. Also Ireland lost to Scotland which is disappointing.

Rassin' frassin' Colts. Everywhere I go on campus I see these knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing Neanderthals. And now with the Colts here, it's even worse! Seriously, things are bottled up on campus. There's like 9,000 people visiting every night.

I saw an athlete get chauffeured via golf cart from Martin Hall to the Wellness Center. For those of you unfamiliar with AU's campus, that's like a 40-yard trip.

Hopelessly lost,

-Ryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home