Thursday, April 26, 2012

Iron and Whine

Have they gone? I didn't think it was safe to come out into the open while any of my final papers were still lurking about. The past few weeks have had something of a hollowing effect on me; there have been a few days go by in which I think that I've perhaps had no meaningful exchange with another person and that has a way of leaving a fellow feeling somewhat sub-human. Meanwhile, the papers are (mostly) done, let the people rejoice! With me!

I've had two musical misfires in the past few weeks; I'll elucidate the most recent first. Tuesday was the birthday of a friend of mine and I offered to take him to a Josh Garrels' concert that was taking place nearby. Now that Mr. Garrrels is one of those insufferable Portlanders, we who were left here in the Midwest can't always pick and choose our venues with the discrimination afforded us in years past. In other words, a Garrels concert is a bigger deal than it used to be. Approximately two hours before what would have been our departure time, I was contacted by a friend who wanted to know if I have any extra tickets in tow. "Tickets?" says I, "We were just going to get them at the door." My friend suggested that it might be worth my while to verify that such a thing could still be done so I called the venue (Taylor University) to vindicate my confidence. "I'm sorry, we've just sold out." So how silly do I feel? Less than an hour after I offer to take my pal to the show I have to call him and say, "How about I buy I you a box of doughnuts and we can listen to Farther Along?" Clearly, Garrels has gone too mainstream. I may never speak of him again.

My second account is about two weeks old and it involves (among others) Andrew Bird, Iron & Wine, and the venerable M. Ward. To give you a little back-story, about two years ago a friend and I purposed within our hearts to go to an Iron & Wine show at the OSU, but things got complicated and I went to Germany instead. When the lineup for the Nelsonville Music Festival was made official, we were beside ourselves with anticipation and purchased our tickets straightaway; this would make up for that missed I&W concert, with interest. With $90 invested and a camping spot already reserved, what could possibly arise that would alter our plans? A Tri-S trip to Costa Rica, apparently. Just a few days after I'd ponied up and made the order, I was advised that AU's Tri-S office was in need of a male group leader to participate in a work project in Costa Rica, May 7-20th. "Yes, please! There's absolutely no reason I... D-oh!" So the moral is, if I agree to go see Iron & Wine with you, it means I'm leaving the country.

If you ever get it in your head that some Mumford & Sons composition is speaking to the universe directly on your behalf, it means that you need to take a break from whatever you're doing and go outside. Also, Mumford & Sons are too mainstream.

If any of you have any questions about Codex Alexandrinus, now is the time to ask me about it. I can't imagine I'll retain any pertinent information too much longer.

-Ryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home