Monday, March 07, 2016

Casimir Pulaski Day 2016

Here is a mirthful account to put you in an appropriate mood this Casimir Pulaski Day!

A few days ago I met an old friend of mine for breakfast. He and I have known eachother for more than twenty years and though our exchanges are less frequent than they used to be, they are still always a great pleasure. For most of my life, I've looked up to this guy and regarded him with the sort of glowing veneration that is usually reserved for beatified saints and Mr. Rogers. If pressed, I don't know that I could point to any particular anecdote that might explain my lofty appraisal of him, but he always seemed to garner praise from the right sources and I respected that. I was fairly convinced that of all my friends and acquaintances, none had so impeachable a character or so steadfast a moral center. Little did I know that beneath that winning façade beat a heart as dark as nothingness itself.

Him: [as we prepare to leave] "It's been great talking with you, man. I wish we did this more often."

Me: [trying not to gush] "Oh, sure."

Him: "Before we go, there's something that's been on my mind that I need to confess to you."

Me: [super impressed by his humility and piety] "Is that right?"

Him: "Remember when we were kids and you told me that you liked so-and-so?"

Me: "Uh, yeah."

Him: "Well, I told her."

Me: “Oh! Haha, that’s fine; don't think anything about it. She probably would have figured out anyway. Kids do stupid stuff. It’s crazy that you’ve remembered that so many years later!”

Me five minutes later in my car: "That son of a b_____!"

Happy Casimir Pulaski Day! I hope you all celebrated by attending a Bible study at Michael's house! 

-Ryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home