Monday, August 27, 2007

The Moon and My Anderson Year

After having been stuck in Chicago traffic for two hours yesterday, my fellow travelers and I managed to get to 65 South just in time for the beautiful August moon to surpass the sun in luminance. Though it may have been nothing more than the joy of finally making some good time on the freeway, the full moon in the late summer sky struck me as being particularly impressive.

Now me, I've always loved being able to see your shadow at night, particularly in the summer when cool of the evening is more agreeable than it is the rest of the year. In fact, one of my favorite things to do is take a walk to the tree line through our field under the full moon and just take in the grooviness. It was at about that point, as we were plowing towards central Indiana at 76 MPH, that I thought, "Man, I haven't done that at all this year." The reason, I deduced as the closeness of Gary faded politely into Shelby and then into the rooftop Boilermakers of Lafayette, was that I had not lived in beautiful downtown Fortville since August 20th, 2006.

All summers, taking all comers, from '85 to '06, were spent primarily in Fortville. This past year was spent in Anderson, and it was a darn good year. I mean, I say that now. Thank God (seriously) for taking things that ought to be rough and making them great.

Most of my BSU professors try really hard to be intimidating. They're not half bad at it.

It amazes me that despite its best attempts, USA rugby hasn't killed itself yet.

-Ryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home