Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Say... Der?

There is a thing called Maundy Thursday. I didn't know that. I'm probably oversimplifying, but I think that's the Christianized, Westernized name for Passover. That is, the Thursday before Easter. I got to participate in a Maundy observation which included a (relatively) traditional Seder (say-der), then a real deal meal that didn't have anything to do with anything, then a foot washing ceremony.

The foot washing ordinance is rather weird, particularly when you're going about it with people that you don't know. If I hadn't once attended a congregation that did that sort of thing way back in another life, I would have been largely wigged the crap out. But I did attend such a congregation, so I wasn't caught unawares.

When Jesus washed the feet of His disciples as related in John 13, it seems that He did it to convey the concept of servanthood and its incomparable importance. Though it may seem off-putting, the washing of feet is such an apt practice for the adoption of humility, it stuns me. It's an uncomfortable dynamic. If you're like me, you don't even let yourself enjoy the washing of your own feet (or in my case, foot). The fact that Christ admonished Peter for that very mentality suggests to me that being able to graciously receive service is important as well.

The chap whose feet I washed could probably teach most of the octogenarians in the room a thing or two about the concept of gracious acceptance. He's Hindu and he was invited by one the professors in attendance to observe the Maundy ceremony. He let me wash his feet then he good-naturedly asked if he could return the favor. After he had completed, he embraced me like a friend and helped me to my seat (I was still on crutches at the time). I don't know if he knew why we were doing what we were doing, but his attitude was impressive, nonetheless.

This post getting too long already, but something colorful happened yesterday and I want to mention it.

I have a credit card from 1st Financial Bank. I haven't made a purchase with said card for almost two years because of their incommoding business practices. So for that time, I have received monthly statements telling me that I owe $0.00. After about fifteen such statements, I stopped opening them for a while. In fact, before yesterday, it had probably been six months since the last time I verified that I didn't owe 1st Financial Bank any money.

Taking my lack of debt for granted for so long, imagine my surprise to discover that 1st Financial was now under the impression that I owed them $52.99. Not only did I owe them that money, they were apparently on the verge of "tarnishing my good name" with a bad credit rating because said amount was overdue.

The abridged version of this account is that 1st Financial had instituted an "annual fee" policy to the tune of $13.99 which was apparently charged to me last January. It was an "opt-out" consent method. In other words, to avoid paying $13.99 a year all you had to do was call them and say, "I'd like to not pay $13.99 for no added service every year" and they'd say "Oh. Well, all right then." Otherwise they assume that you would like to pay $13.99 for no added service every year. I totally dig that logic.

For the whole episode, ask me about it (warning: it's boring).

-Ryan

3 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Blogger Derek Reiff said...

Wouldn't the opt-out be for the card?

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Chris Wolfgang said...

Guh-roan. What's with added charges for nothing? Stayed at a hotel. "What's this random $1 charge?" "Oh, that's for the safe in the room." "I have no intentions of using the safe." "We'll take it off if you mention it when you check out." "I just mentioned it. Can't you take it off now?" "No."

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

A Mastercard we had thru Sears wanted to begin adding charges last Feb, I think. I called and canceled it. Had a card that didn't charge any fee; why use theirs? Charge me a fee, lose my business. They offered to waive the fee. (??) What? Why charge the fee in the first place? I still canceled the card.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home