Where My GModules At?
The consolidation of the Interwebs as evangelized by your Googles, Facebooks, and Tweet-zones is dash inconvenient. As I was setting up my new work computer (64-bit Windows 7), I noticed some odd behavior out of Thunderbird. Some of the RSS feeds that I imported would automatically open up my browser with what appeared to be a spam site. I noted two things: a.) all of the feeds that did this were Blogspot blogs and b.) I didn't have this problem with an older version of Thunderbird.
There was one Blogspot blog that did not give me this problem, so I compared it with the blogs that did, and I noticed that the nonoffending blog lacked a small piece of code that the others possessed:
<script type="text/javascript">
if (!window.google || !google.friendconnect)
{
document.write('<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.google.com/friendconnect/script/friendconnect.js">' + '</scr' + 'ipt>')
}
</script>
The pieces fell together: as a Google aquisition, it made sense that Blogspot blogs would have Google FriendConnect code in them (GModules), and my older version of Thunderbird didn't run JavaScript at all, so I would never notice Google's clumsy attempt to customize my advertisement experience to whatever it thought my interests were.
The solution was to add a new blocking rule to Thunderbird:
http://www.google.com/friendconnect/script/*
Essentially what that does is tell Thunderbird to ignore any scripts that come from FriendConnect. Problem solve-ed.
Hey, it's June! I hope you're having a wonderful one. I'm going to another wedding tomorrow. Why am I telling you? I don't know...
I know that I ended my post title with a preposition.
Peace be with you and your kin.
-Ryan


1 Comments:
I'm so proud of you.
-signed,
Ryan's Mom
PS if your grandfather had a computer, HE would tell you he's so proud of you!!
Post a Comment
<< Home