Sunday, July 18, 2010

Disappointment and Regret Collide Vol. 2

Disappointment and regret collided for the second year in a row as I unexpectedly reprised my role as a below-average participant in the Pound the Pavement 5K and then went to a wedding. Didn't see that one coming, did you? I know what you're thinking, "WTW, last I heard, you couldn't even walk in a straight line, how were you fit for a 5K?" I guess the short answer would be to say that I wasn't fit for it; I ran it in 25:25. Though seeing as how they were the first steps I'd run since my game-killing ankle injury back in mid-March, I was just happy to finish it. That's right; the mentality that most people undertake for a mini-marathon was how I approached a 3.1 mile jog. I aim to inspire.

Calves and quadriceps quite sore today. Ankle doing much better, but not back to 100%. Maybe 70%?

Anyway, the wedding was that of an AU School of Theology student and the person that he was marrying. The thing that made it most special was that it was THREE AND A HALF [profanity] HOURS AWAY!! The location was the camp that I mentioned in the cleverly-titled post, Marengo and it apparently held some obscure brand of significance with the couple in question, so I guess that's at least partially forgivable. Let's see, nice things to say about the wedding... Well, this is kind of an odd thing, but I really did think this: against the backdrop of the lush Marengo forest, the earthy color-scheme, and the slender compositions involved, the whole production was somewhat connotative of an elf wedding (the Tolkein kind of elf, not the Keibler kind). That's a pretty nerdy thing to say, but, embarrassingly enough, it really did cross my mind.

Though the groom tried to deny it, I can't help but feel that I had a profound influence on the music selection for the reception. And that's just what I told everybody who would listen to me. Which was not many people. As it's turned out, people from Ohio tend not to be big fans of me. They can't handle my aura.

One week and I'm out like a kid who's engaged in an activity in which he does not excel! So excited!

-Ryan

2 Comments:

At 9:17 PM, Blogger Erica said...

Yet another reason why people from Ohio are odd men out!

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Lil said...

Ry, for being such an avid disliker of weddings, you go to more weddings than anyone else I know!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home