Drama Flakes
I've got a friend who attracts drama like a rotting wildebeest attracts tsetse flies. In and of himself, he is not what I'd call a dramatic person, but rather he is a contingent around which dramatic or otherwise burdensome situations flourish and gravitate. Exempli gratia, yesterday on our lunch break we decided to play some Frisbee golf around campus. We had made it to the Nth hole, which tees off halfway between the Fine Arts Building and Hartung Hall and finishes at Helios.
I went first and made a relatively unspectacular toss towards the fountain. My colleague's throw was actually much better; the disc flew straight along the sidewalk connecting the two buildings and gracefully descended near the Helios piazza. When it hit the cement, the Frisbee, still pregnant with inertia, began sliding towards a group of oblivious high school girls who were heading towards the Marketplace. Considering the trajectory of the Frisbee against that of the group, it seemed inevitable that the disc would gently slide into the heel of the rearmost student. Almost certainly annoying, but in all actuality, not that big of a deal, eh?
I must have forgotten with whom I was playing. Upon contact, the girl shrieked out in fear and pain, sank to her knee, and clutched her assailed talus. Dumbfounded, both of us stood where we were for a few beats, completely taken aback by her reaction. Once we had reassembled at least some of our wits, we ran over and inquired about her well-being. She regarded us, then the Frisbee, then looked back to us and, while still rubbing her heel, smiled brightly and said "Oh, I'm alright; it's okay." With that, she and her cronies got back on their way, leaving the two of us to deal with the mess of staring faces that we had just garnered.
By the way, I was right last week, the Lions lost. Good game, though. Ask me about it.
-Ryan


1 Comments:
Pregnant with inertia! Ry I am in AWE! I am thusly sharing suchsaid expression with Lyla, who will gleefully share my awe! Consider yourself doubly admired! Btw words cannot express the extent of the veracity with which I humbly declare to you that I am, and have been for over a month, in the process of writing you. Be on your guard.
Post a Comment
<< Home